Very few people will have missed the front page of today's Times, which contained an article describing an impending consultation paper from the DTI, due this summer.
Apparently the consultation paper will seek views on changing the law to:
• abolish the rule for one year's continuous employment for claiming unfair dismissal;
• lower the threshold for union recognition;
• an increase in the £52,600 cap for the unfair dismissal compensatory award;
• greater powers for re-instatement of unfairly dismissed employees;
• abolition of 'zero hour' contracts.
More details in The Times 11/6/02, pp1 and 22.