We all knew they were coming, and on a warm Thursday afternoon the DTI has released a flood of consultation papers on proposed changes to employment legislation.
The various consultation papers cover:
• employment status in relation to employment rights
• a review of the Employment Relations Act 1999 (this has not yet been issued as a consultation paper, but the terms of reference have been published)
• fixed term workers (again!)
• flexible working
• the Information and Consultation Directive; and,
• a review of the UK labour market
Note that there whilst the upper limit for the compensatory award is up for review (as part of the Employment Relations Act 1999), there has been no consultation sought on the qualifying period for unfair dismissal. So it looks like that might be staying at one year.
The consultation papers are all available at http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/fixed/index.htm