The new Regulations:
- ban age discrimination in terms of recruitment, promotion and training;
- ban all retirement ages below 65 - except where objectively justified;
- require employers to inform employees in writing, and at least 6 months in advance, of their intended retirement date. This will allow people to plan for their retirement;
- remove the current upper qualifying age for unfair dismissal and redundancy rights;
- impose a duty for employers to consider an employee's request to continue working beyond retirement; and
- impose a requirement for employers to give written notification to employees at least 6 months in advance of their intended retirement date. This will allow people to plan for their retirement.
DTI Age Discrimination Webpage