First, the qualifying period for unfair dismissal will be increased from one year to two years with effect from 1 April 2012.
Second, fees will be introduced for tribunal claims. From the (sketchy) information currently available, it appears the following fee structure will apply (note: this is all second-hand information, including from the Evening Standard; I have not seen the text of the speech):
- upfront fee of £250 when lodging ET1;
- further fee of £1,000 payable by Claimant when the hearing is listed;
- higher fees if the claim is for over £30,000;
- fee to be refunded if Claimant wins, and forfeited if they lose
- fees to be waived for those with no money